The roundabout never stops! Here we go again, another year, another January and another “oops, I’ve not blogged for ages and there’s stuff to show off but….”
Hopefully something resembling “normal service” will resume soon, but I wouldn’t count on it! Last year passed in somewhat of a whirlwind with Autumn disappearing on me completely due to my extended stay in the Southern hemisphere. I’m still working on issues that have arisen from that trip, which partly explains the lack of posting – and the complete lack of sewing. It’s just about 3 weeks into the new year and I’ve finished nothing sewing related.
That’s not to say that there isn’t a pile of fabric and patterns waiting for me, just the inspiration to get going and the time to fit it in around what I brought back with me. I’m hoping to achieve some sort of balance soon so the sewing can resume, especially as I have just taken on a new project.
I’ve joined the volunteer costume making team at Anne Hathaway’s cottage – she being the wife of a certain Mr William Shakespeare. I’m quite excited to get cracking on making things I’ve always wanted to make, but had absolutely no practical reason to do so! I’ve started a new Pinterest board to collect ideas, dug out my historical costume pattern cutting books and ordered a couple of new ones. I’ll be focussing on menswear first, but need to make a couple of 18th century ladies outfits too. Any pointers greatfully received!!
One garment I did manage to finish last year after I got back was a pretty, softly draping viscose blouse for my Aunt in Cape Town. I used Tunic 107 from the April 2016 Burdastyle magazine, mostly because I had it with me in South Africa, hoping to make a pair or two of the wide legged trousers in the same issue! The fabric is lovely, a pretty floral print with contrast border that worked perfectly for the collar, sleeve bands and neckline treatment. It meant I didn’t have to go looking for something else and all the colours worked well together already. I cut it out there, but got nowhere with making it up until I’d got back.
I made a narrow shoulder adjustment but otherwise cut a straight 38. It went together really well, French seams used throughout. I’m tempted to make one for myself if I can bear to add more fabric to the piles on the cutting table!
The reason I had that April Burdastyle in South Africa was so that I could run up a pair of viscose trousers before the weather got too hot. I made it by days.. I’d taken the fabric with me, cut but no further along, and it took ages for me to find the time to get stuck in and sew. Eventually I got them finished, and it really was in the nick of time. I love how they swish softly around my ankles and they were perfect in the hot weather. So good in fact, that I popped into a local fabric store and bought another couple of metres of border printed viscose and made another.
The first pair were fully French seamed, this time I threw that all out of the window. The linen trousers I’d brought from the UK were too thick to cope in the developing humidity and speed was of the essence. A simple zigzag finish did the job and I managed to finish the second pair in a few late nights – desperation!! I think I might love the second pair more than the first, although you’ll have to wait for the summer later this year to see proper photos.
So now I need some oompfh and inspiration to make a dent in the two piles currently awaiting my attention on the cutting table. Hoping you’re all sewing much faster than me this new year.