Here we are, “P-Day”!! I got all garments finished last night, and all have been well received! So here they are, in no particular order…
Daughter No 2:
I used a turquoise and white floral print cotton and some vintage white lace with a heart design for the shorts, pattern cut from the trouser block. I used Ann Hagar this time, as I hadn’t used a block form her book yet. It was interesting… I have drafted so many trouser blocks from Winnifred Aldrich, and Ms Hagar does hers so completely differently! The top is drafted from the close-fitting bodice block, fullness added at the centre front and back and darts left un-sewn, naturally. The fabric is white cotton poplin, again with the vintage lace. To identify the fronts and back, I sewed on a small length of white ribbon to the front of the shorts to tie in a little bow. The top has a grouping of sequins and beads.
Daughter no 2 is presently re-re-re-reading the Twilight series, and is halfway through Breaking Dawn. The whole series has been very popular with her and her sister.
Daughter no 1:
For these pyjamas I used black cotton jersey for the top, with a length of black crochet trim from my ribbon box. The pattern was drafted from the close fitting bodice block again, with pleats added to the front neckline at 2cm intervals to add fullness. On reflection, I could make these wider than the 2cm I used, bit for now they’re fine. This top took a while to get right, as the trim needed much manipulation to take the various curves!! She is so pleased with it she’d like more – to wear out! In public!
The shorts are made from a black, white and red cotton print left over from lining a handbag… The black lace with little circles matched the print quite nicely, and is also from my stash, and is a piece of vintage stuff I got from the Ironbridge Victorian Village a few years ago. Leave it to me to find the teeny tiny sewing shop!!
Daughter isn’t reading fiction at the moment. It’s crunch time for finishing A-level coursework and projects, so her reading material is for her Art coursework and her Extended Project Qualification.
And me…. I used a black and white paisley print cotton I liberated from a student at a fabric swap we had at our Sewing Sunday at the beginning of April for the trousers, and black cotton jersey for the top. I haven’t added any lace or other trims. The trousers were adapted from the trouser block from Winnie Aldrich, but for the top I had to use a Burda pattern. Just not enough time! I used Style no 113/4 from Burda 12/2008.
The top has pleats on the curved front neckline and raglan sleeves. Because I had no trim I used the overlock stitch on my sewing machine to make a little “picot” edge on all the jersey hems.
The pleats on the top make it really comfortable, and not too full. 10/10! Thanks Burda!
My reading list is Natalie Bray’s “More Dress Pattern Designing” and “Paper, Metal & Stitch” by Maggie Grey & Jane Wild. I picked it up for just £7 at a 2nd hand booksale.
Natalie Bray is on the list because I want a new jacket pattern and I fancy a Kimono sleeve. She has the best instructions! Paper, Metal & Stitch is just to get some creative juices flowing.. I never have any time to actually play with this stuff! Hope you all have a fabulous pyjama party, and thanks to Karen for being such a great hostess!!