Another Bellatrix Blazer finished! What a shame Papercut Patterns aren’t participating in this month’s Sewing Indie Challenge, hosted all over, because I’d be entering this little number – for sure!
I’d almost finished it in the last post, it was just lacking a front facing & upper collar piece which I was going to cut from a black cotton stretch satin. Before committing to the order online though, I had a quick rummage through my silks & satins stash box and I found a piece of black stretch satin – not strictly cotton either, but who cares! By using this piece I tick off another stashbusting box and I get to finish the jacket over the weekend – bonus.
I really do love the contrast of solid black on the collar, none of the other versions have contrasts on the outsides (insides are a different matter altogether!) so this makes it a little different. The peplum pieces are all cut on the cross (weft) grain so the stripes are perpendicular to the rest of the jacket, this also means they have no stretch.. no matter, across the back the is great movement which is supported on the inside with a stretch lining.
I don’t like stretch linings, they feel funny but they do do a good job on a project like this. As usual, the project went together really well, I used fusible canvas on the undercollar to give extra support, and used a lightweight fusible on the remaining pieces. Now Daughter No2 just needs to decide what to wear it with when she goes to school next!
Next I’ll show off the dress I cut at the same time as the jacket, yes, Daughter No1 came home quickly this long weekend & tried it on. Thankfully it fits beautifully – and she loves it! The boyfriend was suitable appreciative too… ;)