What it is is a lot of paper, magic tape and head scratching! I have been mucking about with paper and Pattern Magic again, this time working on the “dress with draped design” pattern. I guess I had a little more working through to do because I am not using the block that comes from the book. As I am a million miles for the average Japanese woman in size and shape, there is pretty much no point in going there! So I have my trusty Winnifred Aldrich bodice block to fiddle with instead. It isn’t a hard pattern to make, just fiddly.
So this is how the front started off, bust dart moved to armhole, and lots of lines to cut up. The waistline is moved 7cm up (on the back too) and neckline drawn in with a slight dip. Then the fun started!! I needed an extra hand and an automatic tape dispenser..
The back was not that tricky and took about 5 – 10 minutes to adapt. Then there is the sleeve to consider. I like interesting sleeves, in case you hadn’t noticed by now. I just wasn’t sure how much fabric I had to play with, same old story!!
The fabric was sent to my by a very good friend who has relocated to Chicago. I recon if I make her feel guilty enough about leaving me she’ll send me plenty of care packages with fabric in… ;p Anyway, the fabric is a polyester georgette with a fabulous print on it. The colours are great and I really hope this dress turns out the way I see it in my head because I want to wear it to death in the summer. The plain crepe de chine is for lining the skirt section. I didn’t want the linings to be attached, so I am basically going to make a slip with the crepe and make a little cami with some turquoise silk satin I had left over from a previous project.
So before I got too carried away I placed the pattern pieces I had finished onto the fabric to see just how little I’d be left with… Not an awful lot to be honest. So out the window went ideas for a cowl drape elbow length sleeve and in came a shorter, plain sleeve. The twisted draped front will just have to do!
So the front and back are stitched, French seams throughout on this fabric, and all that is left to do are the sleeves and hem. And the cami. And the slip. In the meantime daughter no 2 needs a pattern for a prom dress she has designed, so I had better get my skates on!
By the way, I have to thank Burdastyle for making my Rise Above This jacket their featured member project of the week!! I was pretty amazed!