Ok, so the 2 for 1 jacket finally has a name! Sometimes you just need some space and good music to get the ball really rolling. And I have to confess to having a most bizzar collection of tunes. The one that got my steam up was Seether’s, Rise Above This. Does anyone else listen to music while they sew? I cannot work when it’s quiet. So here is the rest of the jacket. I must also confess that I sort of lost track of taking photos as I got more and more into the making up process! Oops! I will be better next time, promise!
I had left of the last time at the shoulder stage, ready for the collar. The under collar is cut on the bias in two pieces, and is slightly smaller than the top collar. If you have a pattern that uses the same pattern piece for both, trace it off and put a seamline down the centre back of the under-collar and change the grainline to bias. Add between 2.5 and 5mm on the outside edges of the upper-collar to allow for turn of cloth. Do not be tempted to just make the under-collar smaller. I interfaced the under collar with weft insertion on the bias, then sewed the two together at the centre back. To ensure a good stand, I use a fusible canvas on the under collar. This is cut without seam allowance, on the bias. The upper collar gets a lighter interfacing, I used the fine sheer, but if you find your collar is not keeping shape, you could reinforce with some fusible canvas.
I clip the neck edge of the jacket at approx. 1.5cm intervals to the stay stitch line and then pin the collar on from the centre out – from the jacket side, not the collar side. the clipping helps to open out the curve and allows for easing. When you sew the under-collar on, start and stop exactly on the podmark for the collar attachment on the neckline. Next pin the upper collar to the under collar, taking care to line up the outside edges. Because you have cut the upper larger than the lower you will have to ease the extra in. Pin parallel to your edge, instead of perpendicular as this will help to avoid catching tucks. Then snip the neckline edge of the facing and sew the upper collar to the facing. There will be a teeny tiny gap at the junction of the collars and the revers. This you hand hand-stitch closed. Layer your collar and neckline seams and press them open over a ham.
Now we come to the part where I got carried away with the making and forgot to take pictures! With the collar done you can sew up the side seams of the jacket and do the sleeves. The sleeve heads should be interfaced with a crescent shape, 10cm deep at the centre. You can’t see all of this so clearly on my sleeves because I inserted a contrast pleat panel.
And that was my run of photos!! I will take some of the next jacket I do, from the sleeve stage onwards, promise!! Basically from here on the sleeve seams need to be joined, and the gathering stitch on the head. Now for jackets you can follow the normal 2 rows of gathering stitch, or try something different. I do one line of gathering, 2cm from the edge of the fabric. I ease the fullness along this line, making sure there is no actual gathering, no tucking or puckering. What I am after is for the sleeve head to form the sort of shape it will have when in the armhole. When the shape is right, I pin it into the armhole from the sleeve side. Once the sleeve is in, I use an interfaced bias cut strip, about 5cm wide of jacket fabric and fold in half lengthways. Then this is sew into the sleeve head to support the cap.
I was going to try to continue without pictures, but I don’t think it is working!!
Here is the finished garment!
It was a rather windy day to take photos, I kept getting hair in my eyes, or my mouth! there are more pictures on Burdastyle, until I pop more on this blog, but they will be in their own post.
And I promise to take a better photographic record the next time!